Username Password: Remember me

Project Car # 2584721 - '72 2002
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Project Car # 2584721 - '72 2002

Project Car # 2584721 - '72 2002 3 years, 2 months ago #777

• artmurphy
  • Fresh Boarder
The instructions say "just about anything you want" so here goes . . .
I bought the car in 1972 and drove it just about every day until 1986. In the summer of 1986 the car failed the emissions test, there were intermittent electrical problems, and I needed a reliable car for my job.

I put the 2002 in the garage and bought a decent 528e from Auto Eng'g. The 2002 stayed in the garage until April of this year.

The car became a hobby. I thoroughly enjoyed tinkering with whatever I was capable of.It didn't matter that I was incapable of getting it running; the was plenty of other stuff to do a get satisfaction from. In almost every year I managed to accomplish SOMETHING. Like my Rube Goldberg contraption to drip Mystery Oil into the pistons and turn the crank to keep the pistons from seizing. ( I have a list of what was done)
Last year the gas tank was decontaminated and the carburetor rebuilt.

In April my hobby ended. We sold our house of 32 years. We moved to a nice townhouse community. Unregistered cars are forbidden.
And, maybe even worse, working on cars is not allowed! The 2002 is now in storage in Concord (MA). Just plain storage with a bunch of much fancier cars and I have no access to it.

I would like to move the car to a place where it can be worked on. By someone who knows and appreciates the 2002 and can get it running. I also need somebody to give me a sanity check about this whole idea. This is not a restoration; my hope is to get the car running and registered in 2014. And the costs spread over the remaining months so I don't go broke - at least not all at once!

Please call or email me with any questions and suggestions you have. I am completely retired now and pretty much available anytime.

Art Murphy
(978) 425 5147
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sislane

Re: Project Car # 2584721 - '72 2002 3 years, 1 month ago #778

• capecod02
  • Fresh Boarder
Contact Lindsey Brown. He is a master BMW guy and lives in Concord.

He did my 74 engine rebuild last year.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. email

tel #(978) 369-9205

Henry McClean
74 Sahara
The following user(s) said Thank You: sislane

Re: Project Car # 2584721 - '72 2002 3 years, 1 month ago #779

• sislane
  • Administrator
Hello Art,

I'm glad you posted here. There are plenty of us in the area who tinker on our own cars and work on them together. It's somewhat late in the season for someone to garage your 02 in a private residence to work on it. I would certainly entertain working on it in my own garage but too late in the year for me now.

It sounds like someone needs to visit your 02 and have a look at things. OR you could have a real garage look at it and provide a time line & potential cost..... Lindsay Brown would be a great person to look at it. Rob Siegel would also be a good contact for you.

Scott Sislane
1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)
1976 2002 Dk Blue Metallic (never-ending project)
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by sislane. Reason: typo
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds